Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Thing 18

I've had a MySpace account for about two years. I truly never enjoyed that site. Last year one of my students encouraged me to get a FaceBook account for events in our office. I enjoy that site much more and use it often. As of tonight, I have 132 friends.

Knowing how socialnetworking is important because students are using them to stay in touch but also to complete group projects, assignments, etc. My APSU 1000 class last fall did group presentations on the importance of MySpace and Facebook in college and how it applies to academics as well as campus events and social activities. Being involved on campus many times ensures the students feel connected and a part of a community so that they will return each semester. Socialnetworking can play a role in staying connected. One of my friends is President Hall. I also follow him on Twitter and it's fun to see how current the posts are there. Using a cell phone to post is an incredible tool!

MySpace seems to be used more by the Millenial generation than mine. It also did not provide the same level of contact for me as Facebook. I only had about ten friends on MySpace and never really got into it. One of my student's put it this way: "MySpace has much more drama" and I tend to agree. Facebook provides a more professional level of usage. I have many friends, teachers, colleagues, and students as friends. It's a fabulous way to stay in touch with people after graduation or moving. Our office also uses Facebook to promote student events and to keep students informed.

No comments:

Post a Comment